Beginning Crochet

Recently I decided I was finally going to learn how to crochet. I had bought a beginners kit a few months back which was not beginners in the slightest so I began looking up more basic stuff online, starting with just how to complete a Single Crochet stitch.

My first project was a scarf (of course), initially I was going to just use Single Crochet but saw a video on Extended Single Crochet and liked how that looked better so went with that.

Once that was completed, it was suggested I try learning Granny Squares to begin with but then I saw all these crazy things like Double Crochet and decided that was out of my league…

Crochet scarf and iPad cover

Crochet scarf and iPad cover

… Until today, well technically yesterday. I decided I wanted to work on creating an iPad cover and the video I saw used double crochet, if I’d looked around a bit more I would have seen easier, single crochet varieties but I wanted to learn how to crochet ‘in the round’ as well as learning double crochet at the same time.

Once I got passed the hurdle of the first row and going around to the back of my first row it was fairly easy until I noticed my seam moving in a slant instead of straight. This drove me crazy! Until I found a great video by Crochet Ever After which explained exactly the issue I was having and how to fix it.

Overall, I much prefer Crochet to Knitting although I never much took the time to knit anything other than a scarf. I find that I don’t have as many tension issues with crochet and it just feels easier. Next time I’m going to try the iPad cover again with a smaller hook (the above one was 5mm) and see if I can sort out this seam!

9 comments

1. Cat says:

That’s awesome that you’re crocheting! My mom does it and makes me blankets and amigurumi ๐Ÿ™‚ I especially love how amigurumi looks and kind of want to learn just for that, haha. Your scarf and iPad cover look really good!

2. Esme says:

Wow congrats on learning how to crochet! It looks so complicated! I would never have the patience to make stuff like that. The scarf and cover look so awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

3. christinexcurls says:

I love those scarves! Especially the one on top that has a nice color fade to it. They are just beautiful. My Mom used to crochet pot holders and things. She always tried to teach me, but I was not a patient learner!

4. Erica says:

It’s really neat that you were able to pick up crocheting as a hobby. I’ve tried to learn to crochet and knit but have never got the hang of either.

• Kalliste says:

I found some really good youtube videos mostly. The person I linked in my post has quite a few of them and she has great instructions.

• Erica says:

Thank you, but it’s definitely me that is the issue, not the people instructing me. Haha. Though, when I get in the mood to try to learn (…again) I might follow your link and give it another shot.

5. Amanda says:

Yikes well done! I have never attempted crochet or knitting but I just know that it will drive me nuts since I’m not very patient. I’m hoping that one of my friends will one day pick it up and so I will get free scarves :p

6. Manda says:

Learning how to crochet has been on my to-do list for literally years. I love knitting so I want to learn crocheting, too, except it looks so difficult! I mean, there’s only the one hook in crochet compared to knitting’s two needles ๐Ÿ˜›